It’s a subject that has always fascinated me:
Does the love of spicy food mean you are a certain type of person?
Is see people in the Cookson Spice restaurant all the time ordering the ‘hottest thing on the menu.’ Then there they sit sweating like they are in a sauna, egged on by their friends to finish the plate.
I’m left wondering if some order for the taste and blend of Indian spices or is it merely an act of bravery and a rite of passage?
Personally, I love spicy food but it’s a part of my culture. I was brought up with chillies and don’t really consider it an act of bravado.
I also have friends that weren’t brought up in the same culture as me but also enjoy the taste of the chilli – and chillies do have a lovely taste.
Curiosity eventually got the better of me and I did a little research into what renowned psychologists have said about people who love or hate spicy food:
To begin with psychologists are very keen to point out that the more we willingly expose ourselves to a certain type of food then the more we are likely to like it. This explains why you will most probably order the same dish from an Indian restaurant every time, rather than try something new.
Common Traits of Someone who Likes Spicy Food.
So, you like spicy food?
What does that say about you?
Well, there are many personality elements that psychologists tend to agree upon. These are:
- More adventurous.
- More curious about the world around you.
- A passion for daring and potentially risky activities including fast driving and parachuting.
- More likely to conquer your fears.
- Enjoy being praised for your efforts when undertaking a task.
- More likely to enjoy being the centre of attention.
- More competitive and enjoy winning competitions.
An Interesting Difference Between Men and Women.
Women who like spicy food are more likely to be more adventurous – how best to put this – behind closed doors, with their significant other.
Men simply like to show off in front of their friends.
…All one sided so far you might say. If you definitely don’t like spicy food then:
- You are more appreciative of the world around you.
- You are a more likely to be a pleasant / agreeable person.
- You gravitate toward organisation and order rather than chaos.
- Less likely to enjoy roller coasters.
- Do not enjoy horror movies.
Ok shameless plug time. From January, Cookson Spice will be doing their own version of Man (or woman) vs Food:
For the first two weeks of every month, anyone who orders the hottest starter and main course from our menu and finishes every last morsel gets their meal entirely free of charge… provided we are allowed to video your victory or failed attempt for our own social media pleasure.
So how about you, did those descriptors above accurately pin down your personality?
We’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Till next time…